Sunday, December 21, 2008

On the First Day of Christmas Georgiana Gave to Me...

A gaming table for a spree!

Although our patron Duchess has never officially been recognized as a tart of the week on this blog, you all know very well that she was one! The vivacious Duchess of Devonshire needs no introduction, she was smart, sassy, and fabulous. Unfortunately, our favorite aristocrat's fault was her crippling addiction to gambling. And don't even think about lending her money to play a round of faro, she was known to win and then absent-mindedly forget to pay you back! A loveless marriage caused her to eventually find love in other men's (and women's) arms, most famously, Charles Earl Grey. But this is not what defines her as a historical figure. She broke many rules and proved herself as an independant thinker in society, fashion, and politics.

Georgiana completes The Twelve Tarts of Christmas. You now have until 25 December to leave your comments under your favourite tarts' post in order to qualify for their ornament. I will pick names out of a hat and post the winners on Boxing Day. Happy Holidays and thank you all!

17 comments:

  1. I love that the top includes the infamous feathers. Lovely. Truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this time I've been wondering why I only saw 11 ornaments on your Tart Tree. Well, duh, I should have guessed. :) I just have to leave a comment for this one. I'm sure all of us will vie for it! This is also my favorite portrait--I guess because it was the first portrait of her I ever saw in person.

    Thanks so much for all your time and work. The blog is just wonderful. I look forward to a new year full of gossip, history, intrigue and, of course, more tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely ornament!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah so you figured out my trick! I was thinking no one would notice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. feathers, feathers, feathers!!!
    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's definitely my favourite! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The twelve tarts of Christmas has been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my! Why doesn't that have a matching piece????
    i LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew you would save the best for last. Have a fabulous Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feathers and all. Really good ton.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. whata wonderful Series this was I can not wait to see The Duchess after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am definitely leaving a comment on this ornament. This is my first choice, if I had a choice. I was wondering who you would pick for the last one. I knew it was a great one!

    I had fun during your Twelve Tarts of Christmas. I enjoyed reading the biograpy's of the Tarts. My first love was historical fiction, now it is reading biographies. Well, maybe it is a tie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! Love it and your blog-keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete