Monday, December 8, 2008

The Wrightsman Galleries Are Pretty Sweet

Well, Lauren and I just got back from from our rendez-vous in the big apple. We had a very successful trip that I just thought I'd share some of our discoveries. This time we hit up The Met for the reopening of the Wrightsman Galleries. These galleries consist of late French interiors taken from various hotels and homes of period to save them from renovations. They contain much of the original furniture and decoration. Plus, they are lit by electric candles that have fake flames that wiggle every once in a while. This entertained me more than you'll ever know. But enough of that, here are some of the pictures I snapped to entice visitors to The Met.
















I also met up with some old friends:

Rose Adélaïde Ducreux's Self Portrait with Harp was on display in the first room of the Wrightsman galleries.

Gainsborough's full-length of Grace was on display in all its glory.























The two Countesses of Derby were side by side.

Madame Grand was looking angelic of course.

And who doesn't love David's enlightened portrait the Lavoisiers.

10 comments:

  1. How gorgeous!

    I've been meaning to ask: would you be able to give some background to Sheridan's School for Scandal? I've long known that G is the inspiration for Lady Teazle, but who else inspired characters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I am green with envy. The past couple of times I was at the Met those rooms were closed. I think the last time I saw them was for the Dangerous Liaisons costume exhibit---and don't EVEN get me started on that!!

    Have they put out other pieces? They better still have Marie's mechanical desk on display.

    Now I gotta go to New York. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a quick post about School for Scandal here. It's actually a pretty entertaining play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so awesome! :D The candle-flames are pretty hilarious too.

    I have to say, I still love the Eliza Farren painting. Def. my fave tart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gainsborough is my favorite. He might make a good gossipy post. Don't you jusy love it when people make blog suggestions? haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love those galleries! I spent an entire afternoon oooing and ahhhing over them last time I was in New York. And of course Self Portrait with Harp is my absolute favorite painting, so I had a bit of a moment with that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful...

    i am so envious right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hoooo!!
    i really want to see that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bah! I want to go there so badly. Someday...thanks for the pix :D

    ReplyDelete