Monday, August 24, 2009

For Sale

Polonaise found a new ebay item for us all to drool over. This is a gorgeous mourning ring from the late 18th century that contains grief miniature. I'm curious to know where this is from because these mourning miniatures were popular in early America, specifically in the state of New York. They always contained a woman weeping under a (willow) tree and there was usually an urn in front of her, as there is with this fabulous and extravagant example. They were used to commemorate the death of a loved one. A museum I worked at had a great collection of these unique forms of mourning art so I am impressed to see one on ebay. I know the price seems hefty but it could actually be a steal!

2 comments:

  1. They were popular in 17th century Mass as well. It was customary to give out rings and gloves at a funeral. As I recall, pallbearers got rings, and everyone else got gloves. I believe the rings would've just been inscribed with the dead's initials or name rather than having any image. But it's been a long time since I've read about funeral rings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fascinated by this find. Also further interested by Eliza's comments.

    On a personal note, I am not sure I would want to wear a talisman created for the dead, it seems impersonal, a bit like giving a kid a 'doggy/gift bag' to take away from a party, though in this case, it would be a wake.

    I have added you to my list of blogs I am following.


    http://myword1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete