Wednesday, December 21, 2011

TickTock

Nowadays we tend to have some sort of clock in every room of the house.  If we don't have a clock usually we have a watch or, of course the ever-attached mobile phone.  It's hard to imagine not having access to time.  Most Georgians felt the same way too.  In the previous century, a little over a quarter of households had a clock but by the 18th century that number skyrocketed to most everybody. 

Well, perhaps "everybody" is not the best term to use.  Strangely, clocks were one of those gadgets that men couldn't keep their hands off of and women couldn't really care less about.  Somewhat ironic, considering the fancy rococo clocks we commonly see in museums!  Strangely, most clocks were in the kitchen so as to prevent those cookies and tarts from being burnt.  So despite the clock being seen as something incredibly masculine (even pocket watches were rarely used by women) women still managed to find more use for them than showing off their savvy knowledge of technology. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful clock!

    I have a clock in every room. Including the bathroom. Then again, we're so much more accustomed to having to be 'here' or 'there' at specified times and at several times during the day.

    Don't you think that life overall was a bit slower then? Maybe I have a skewed sense of that era, but we seem to live by the clock so much more than they did.

    And I'm glad to see you're still finding time to post! I'm reading them, but they're not as often and I do miss that. Hope things are going wonderfully for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents' house is filled with clocks. Anniversary clocks, cuckoo clocks, digital clocks. I swear you can't look at a wall without seeing a clock. Kinda freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Nightmusic, I am still going through extreme blogger's guilt for not posting enough!

    @Heidenkind, They must always be on time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandparents had an old Seth Thomas mantel clock, wind up, wonderful sound, if I listen very had I can still hear the ticking.

    ReplyDelete