Sunday, December 28, 2008

Looking to Spend that Holiday Cash?

Well do I have a recommendation for you! Fashion from the Kyoto Costume Institute is eye candy for any 18th-20th century fashion lover. Wait no, it's a necessity! I don't really pay attention to the second book (20th century fashion) but the first is about 300 pages packed with fabulous photos of clothing on display from the 18th century to Victorian period. It makes you want to book a flight to Tokyo to see the amazing displays for yourself. You may have seen images from Fashion here or on other blogs and now they can be in your library gaze upon whenever you please. Amazon and Amazon UK has this hardcover duo book set on sale for 35% off. If you can't get enough 18th century or Regency fashion I would highly recommend taking advantage of this sale (and super saver free shipping!). Considering I almost bought these for $50 at The Met and would of had to drag all 10 pounds around, Amazon's discounts and shipping are worthwhile!

9 comments:

  1. I adore this book! I bought a copy at The Met years and years ago and it remains one of my favorite costume books to this day (and I have a small library at this point).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I too have a recommendation (but it's perhaps old now?) Dangerous Liaisons: Fashion and Furniture in the 18th century. Beautiful book, with portraits and interiors and costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have that. I remember vividly having to carry it home (on foot) from the UPS depot...20 blocks away! Good times. Lovely set of books, though, even if they are bloody heavy :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those books are fabulous! The Kyoto Costume Institute also put out a book called Fashion in Revolution, or some such title and it is also fabulous. I think it may be oop but is worth finding. I dream of going to the KCI when I'm rich and famous.

    That Dangerous Liaisons book is amazing and not so expensive. I think that was the best best best costume show I've ever seen, V&A included.

    A reprint of another oop book, 18th Century Fashion in Detail by Avril Hart is coming out in April, I think. (Unless they lied to us again.)A must have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost bought Dnagerous Liasons and then I saw this book and we had a moment, it's like seeing your future husband for the first time.

    I have 18th Century Fashion in detail (apparently and old edition) I found this one to be a tease because they never show the whole garment, just a detail. Who would have thought, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought that one for Christmas, from the Uffici gallery in Florence, ital y. They have a small but droolworthy exibit of costumes, which makes you want to buy books on fashion instantly.
    Anyway, wonderful book full of inspiration. it does make you dream...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was the Pitty palaca actually, not the Uffici. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, I know how you feel. The Bath Costume Museum is just deadly. Not to mention, I was there during their corset and pocket exhibit.

    ReplyDelete