Tuesday, December 16, 2008

On the Forth Day of Christmas Grace Elliott Gave to Me...

Four awesome earrings...

If you take a close look at Grace Dalrymple Elliott's portrait you can see her fabulous earrings. They are pearl drops that are tied in the back by long black ribbons which comes around her front to tie in a choker. So they are both earrings and a necklace in one. Earlace? Not only was Grace stylish, she was also smart, witty and survivor. She just barely escape loosing her head on the French Revolution. And by "barely" I mean she was sparred in the last minute. She also provided some of the most important outside witness accounts of the Revolution. Although, in England she was always just considered to be, well, a fallen woman. But the Georgians always kind of likes those better anyway.

8 comments:

  1. I love Grace! I'm still trying to figure out how to make an "earlace" like hers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered what the heck was going on with that ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe the earlace helped her keep her head...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just noticed (after how many years of looking at these portraits?) that Grace is wearing the narrow black choker with trailing bits in this portrait and the Gainsborough full length. I know it was a fashion, but I've never seen multiple portraits where the sitter has the same clothing/coif/jewels, etc. Maybe the black ribbon was her trademark? She certainly has the long neck to carry it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's what that thing was, here I though she had some sort of hat that was hiding behind her big hair or something. That is weird, I'm not surprised the earlace never caught on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading the biography on her right now and it's very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't Grace in prison with Du Barry? Or Josephine Beauhernais? I can never remember...

    ReplyDelete