Thursday, July 8, 2010

Georgian Nom Nom Delights

Jean wrote to me recently alerting me to two 18th century recipes she recently put on her blog.  Evil, I know, especially during bathing suit season!  But I suppose Vic at Jane Austen's World is equally at fault for this, for it was she who requested them.  Shame on you both!

*Wipes unlady-like drool from chin*

Pound Cake and Trifle are both positively English and  haven't changed too much since their genesis in our favourite century.  Check out the recipes for both scrumptious deserts at The Delightful Repast.

8 comments:

  1. They look so good! Also very unhealthy but really bad for you. Shame on you; how are we going to get into our bikinis now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given up on wearing a bikini this season and have opted to hoist myself into one of those minimizer bathing suits that is supposed to make one look 20 lbs lighter. I've always wondered how that logic worked on dimpled thighs. Ah, well. Jean's trifle is worth the sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anon, I guess I am just as bad for posting them aren't I!

    @Vic, Luckily, at the beach I frequent there are so many around me that shouldn't be in two pieces that I manage to get by. Of course when I have my vacation later in the summer I could be out of luck! Darn pound cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I've had trifle made from that very recipe in a Jane Austen course I took in college.

    It was quite deee-lish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these on Vic's blog and just stared at them for a while thinking about how to make a trifle and if I would soak them in some liqueur.

    Yup. That is exactly what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But what kind of liquor, now that is the question! I actually saw some German honey liquor recently. Their was a bear on the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you say yum? They look so good.

    @Anon, You're right. Really unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, they're pretty "healthy" though not low-cal. I, too, will need a bathing costume with full armor this season! But I make everything with far less sugar than is customary AND with no fake stuff, so it really is quite healthful in that way. So do come on over and peruse ALL my delightful recipes.

    ReplyDelete