Monday, August 15, 2011

Finally! An Illustrated Evelina for the Modern Reader

Not too long ago I was bemoaning the fact that it was difficult to come by a hard copy of Fanny Burney's Evelina, particularly one with the fabulous illustrations of Hugh Thomson.  As if reading my mind, Laura at GirleBooks somehow managed to get her hands on the Thomson illustrations and update the GirleBooks version of Evelina into an illustrated edition of the tale.

For those who can't resist having a bit of artwork to accompany a good book I would highly recommend you checking out this deal of an ebook which is a mere $1.  I got a sneak peek of the book and it is quite lovely; keeping the tradition of captioned illustration plates in classic literature.

GirleBook's Evelina Illustrated

5 comments:

  1. Very cool. Thanks! I love the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I had wanted one with the illustrations and this makes it so easy to acquire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a hard copy, illustrated copy of the very same book for one dollar at our local library. They don't understand the worth of good books there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I could get the word out!

    @IWLaaC, What an amazing find! I felt the same way when I cam across an old copy of the Hours of Catherine of Cleves at my local Book Barn. (http://www.themorgan.org/collections/works/cleves/manuscript.asp?id=1) So I know that victorious feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link to this ebook - very fun website with lots of intersting reads . . .

    ReplyDelete