Thursday, October 20, 2011

Show Stoppers

Sometimes a night at the opera theatre was not as relaxing as one would have hoped.  Just ask Joseph Addison.  He was trying to get some culture one night at a showing of Macbeth when the worst thing that could happen, happened.  He discovered he had chosen a seat near an annoying audience member.
Some Years ago, I was at the Tragedy of Mackbeth, and unfortunately placed my self under a Woman of Quality that is since Dead; who, as I found by the Noise she made, was newly returned from France.  A little before the rising of the Curtain, she broke out into a loud Soliloquy.  When will the dear Witches enter? and immediately upon their first Appearance. asked a Lady that sate three Boxes from her, on her Right hand, if those Witches were not charming Creatures.  A little after, as Betteron was in one of the finest Speeches of the Play, she shook her Fan at another Lady, who sate as far on her Left Hand, and told her with a Whisper, that might be heard all over the Pit, We must not expect to see a Balloon to night.  Not long after, calling out to a young Baronet by his Name, who sate thtree Seats before me, she asked him whether Mackbeth's Wife was still alive; and before he could give an Answer, fell a talking of the Ghost of Banquo.  She had by this time formed a little Audience to her self, and fixed the Attention of all about her.  But as I had a mind to hear the Play, I got out of the Sphere of her Impertinence, and planted my self in one of the remotest Corners of the Pit."

10 comments:

  1. I sympathize with him. It is always horrendous when seated next to someone who obviously does not appreciate opera or theater respectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Joseph! I hate it too when you're seated next to people who don't have any interested in a play and just talk and make a lot of noise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like Mr. Lovel from Evelina who came to the shows to socialize and let people know he was alive. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Jael... that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this! (I love Evelina!)
    My mom is a little like this... always talking during movies... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talking over the production is only acceptable if it plays at midnight and people have squirt guns, news papers and other props to display at the appropriate times during the dialog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This stuff always reminds me of Evelina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, this always happens to me when I go to the cinema! I'm really enjoying the blog esp the newly-revealed topless portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post!
    -but i dare say it's been awfully long since it's posting. I hope all is well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know! I'm feeling very guilty about it too! I've just been so wrapped up in the phd research that the blog is sadly lacking!

    ReplyDelete