Thursday, January 15, 2009

Picture Hat

I am probably reiterating myself by discussing the Picture Hat but it is not to be ignored in this exploration of haberdashery! Plus, it is an all-around fabulous hat. An invention of Georgiana herself, she wore her creation when she sat for Gainsborough in 1785. When the full-length painting was exhibited in the Royal Academy exhibit women immediately ran to their respected hat-makers demanding the same hat they had just seen. Due to the hat being so new they found themselves requesting the "the Duchess of Devonshire's picture hat" since they knew nothing of the hat except that fashion-guru Georgiana was wearing it. Frankly, that was all the incentive that they needed. Judging by the following fine portraits that appear after Georgiana's portrait's creation, you can see how the trend took off. The hat itself was very simple, which was possibly part of its appeal. It consisted of a very large brim, with a sash over the crown and topped off with large drooping ostrich feathers. The hat made a comeback in the Edwardian period and was renamed the "Gainsborough Hat." The following paintings were created between 1785 and 1788.




9 comments:

  1. I totally would love to have this hat, and I'm not really a hat wearer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE those hats! Especially the one in the Sarah Siddons portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post!! I adore the "picture hat"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it's such a wide hat, it seems so naturally elegant and uncumbersome. They make it look so naturally fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hats! I prefer them with the black feathers, so it's G and Mrs Siddons for me. I think the white feathers look better with the straw. I wonder if I'm exposing my lack of chic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm no I think you're right, and perhaps Lauren (the straw hat authority) can back me up when I say black feathers on straw doesn't look as nice (knowing the French, there may have even been a rule about it!).

    There is something about the simplicity of a big hat with big feathers and a flash of color in the ribbon that makes the picture hat oh so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, we must be right then! ;)
    And the Italian portrait of Lady E shows her with a straw Leghorn topped with white feathers, so it MUST be chic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your fashion posts! more more more :) It does frame the face beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am rather sad that these hats are no longer de rigeur.

    ReplyDelete