Thursday, April 23, 2009

Maternal Impressions

Although the Enlightenment strove for scientific advancement, there was still many theories and methods that were simply primeval. One of these was maternal impressions, an idea that would last through the Victorian age. Maternal impression was the belief that a pregnant woman's experiences would affect how her child would come out. It was mostly used to explain why a child was born deaf (there was a loud noise that surprised the mother) or blind (the mother looked at a blind person) or ugly (I just made that one up). One of the most famous cases of birth defects credited to maternal impression was Joseph Merrick, aka the Elephant Man, of whom it was said his mother was scared by an elephant. You mean they couldn't narrow it down to neofibromotosis? Hullabaloo of course, but I would still recommend pregnant women shouldn't eat too much garlic and stay away from circus clowns...just in case!

6 comments:

  1. Circus clowns! You're killing me. Haha!! Walking around today I'm going to see everything through new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already had a very garlic-y pizza today, I need to follow my own advice. Good thing I'm not pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for famous lady tarts in the internet I have stumbled upon your marvellous blog. You have conquered me. I am now, not only a follower but also I will make a link in my blog to yours. That is if I may.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I do stoop to conquer! I'm so happy you found us and hope to see you around more. I would be honoured to be linked to your page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How amusing!
    But isn't it still true today that the mother gets blamed for everything???

    ReplyDelete