Monday, June 7, 2010

Happy Birthday/Aniversary Georgie!

It's Georgiana's birthday today! I hope everyone is celebrating accordingly. For the past two years I've merely announced the 7 June holiday but lately I've been thinking about how I've neglected to mention 7 June also being her wedding anniversary. It's about time I discussed that festive occasion.

Now, the wedding between Lady Georgiana and the Duke of Devonshire was not supposed to be on the bride's seventeenth birthday, it was supposed to be two days afterward. However, like the high-profile celebrity weddings of today, there was much buzz about the Duke getting married. Georgiana was not even a celebrity yet, but the anticipation of her marriage to the most eligible (and rich) bachelor in England probably gave her a boost into celebrity-dom. To avoid the crowds, the wedding had to be earlier so no one would know. The Spencers spared no expense and Georgiana's trousseau was fit for a queen. No less than 65 shoes were included and I am confident that they were all fabulous.

The shoes Georgiana walked down the aisle with were silver slippers. Her dress was white and gold and she accessorized with pearl drops in her hair. Despite being dressed to the nines in full splendor, the wedding only had five attendees due to it being a "secret" rush marriage. The wedding scene in The Duchess may have been filmed in the chapel of Chatsworth but it was in the Spencers' Wimbledon Park parish church that the wedding actually took place. The couple remained at Wimbledon Park for ten days after the wedding (there's nothing as romantic as staying with your in laws) and then were presented to the court.

Now one can only wonder if Georgiana got twice the amount of presents on this day.

9 comments:

  1. I sure would love to have 65 fabulous shoes! I think we should bring back the good old days of a bride's trousseau :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Then I would have to worry about wearing down the few fabulous pairs of shoes I do have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Georgiana! Being both a gemini and being forced to get married on her birthday explains so much about her.

    Thank goodness that, despite sharing her birthday, I have a much nicer husband (and am a very atypical gemini!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! And what a fabulous birthday connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Gee! I am glad to share mine with someone so fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday Georgie! My own Mama thought I was very strange as the first thing I said to her yesterday was "It's Georgie's birthday!" She had no idea who I was talking about at first - after all this time! - and then I didn't have space in between revision to comment; which was a shame, particularly because her favourite refrain of the last 24 hours has been "At least I didn't make you marry on your 17th birthday - you would've been married a year and a half!"

    I love her dearly but that wasn't the most ingenious way to motivate me through my exams...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though she did get the 65 shoes, how terrifying must that be? Separated from your family at just seventeen and thrust into the limelight. Not to mention it's because you're marrying a man you don't even know. Great. Then you have to move the wedding up unexpectedly to your birthday and spend your first married week with your in-laws, pleasing everybody who is determined not to like you. Sounds horrible to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am well over 17 and I still have nightmares about getting married! I think the 65 shoes is the best part of the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure her shoes where the best she had great taste in clothes and shoes, thats one of the things i have studied in fashion, is how grand Georgiana was, a lot of the clothes she designed her self, and I think thats awesome :) And I know I am late wishing her a happy birthday, but yes happy birthday Georgiana :)

    ReplyDelete