Monday, September 20, 2010

Pop Up Video- Walking on Broken Glass

I've written before about my love of a good 18th century themed music video.  It takes a great diva like Annie Lennox to do our century proud.  The younger audience may not be familiar with Pop-Up Video which delivered great trivia while watching music videos; it personally made me undefeatable at Rock and Roll Jeopardy when that was still on.

The good people at Spin the Bottle have many of these pop-up classics, and we can thank them for the video below which contains both the amazing Walking on Broken Glass video and the fun trivia that goes with it.  I was surprised there was no mention of Hugh Laurie which shows America's general ignorance to his existence in the mid-90's.  Enjoy, and learn something in the process!



8 comments:

  1. Hugh Laurie must like wearing a wig and silk breeches - he also does so in his hilarious turn as Prinny in the old "Blackadder" series, too. And John Malkovich wore 18th c. dress to great affect in "Dangerous Liasons" (fortunately without the Mandrake the Magician beard he's sporting here.) Though I have to admit it's that staircase, not the men, that make my heart beat faster...*g*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! I had forgotten about Pop-up videos! I used to love them. I guess no one in America really knew Hugh Laurie until House, even though he was faboo as Prinny in Blackadder, and as the sarcastic Mr. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility (after the video, though).

    I kind of love that she's wearing velvet wrapped like a towel instead of a wig, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pop up video went off the air in 2002! I use to watch them all the time. Addicting! So I hope everyone remembers it :) *pop up..videeeo**

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2002!! Wow, that long ago!
    Clearly all of us watched it with our babysitters. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with this video the first time I saw it when it first aired. And as for pop up video I used to watch that all the time but I really love the pop ups for this video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2002! I didn't know it lasted that long., it's seems like ages ago that I've seen it.

    Susan, you had me lol-ing at work when I read your staircase comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew what the video looked like, but I loved the song when it came out. Hugh Laurie has been around for quite a while. I have a friend who only knew about him from House and commented that when she heard him speak for the first time with a Brit accent, she found him LESS attractive. Go figure, right?

    ReplyDelete